Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Link-What are they, what do they do & do I need them?
So lets talk about "Links."
What are they, what do they do & do I need them?
Are they part of Search Engine Optimization? (SEO)
Well, lets give you a quick rundown on the "type of links."

*1 Internal links
*2 External links
*3 Backlinks
*4 Organic links
*5 Natural links
*6 Dofollow links
*7 Nofollow links
*8 Inbound links
*9 Outbound links

And the list goes on. But these are the few we will be discussing.
Not all of these are mandatory for SEO however, since i am aiming at bringing traffic to your website, I
will be discussing all of them.

So, before you dive too deep into this topic, I'll cover the mandatory SEO links first. But if your more
interested in traffic more than the SEO requirements, you might want to read thru this entire post.

*1 Inbound  links
*2 Outbound links
*3 Internal links
*4 External links
*5 Natural  links

These are the 5 most important links for SEO. Search engines use them as "Trust" scheme with the
exception of Internal links.
Now let me explain what they are, what they do and what you need to do in order to be compliant.

INBOUND LINKS;

Inbound links point back to your website. The number and types of links that you attract partially
determines how you rank in search engine results. Many marketers focus on their inbound links when
creating a link building strategy in order to boost their rankings.
Inbound links to your website tell Google that your content is relevant and useful.
As you develop links, the number provides a better idea to search engines about what you share.
For example, if you create a gardening blog and 30 other gardening blogs link to your website, then
Google is likely to associate your site with high-quality gardening advice.

In the early days of link building, websites would build hundreds of links to their website from
low-quality sources. They would also “link stuff” which was totally irrevalent to a persons site,
and add dozens of links to one page all pointing back to one source. Not only did this look spammy, but
it also appeared unnatural. This lead Google to crack down on poor link building strategies through
algorithm penalties.
The quality of links that you add to your website could either make you or break you.
Be extra cautious as you pick and choose which links would benefit your site.
The links to your website are the company you keep, which means if sources like the Huffington Post
or Better Homes & Gardens link to you then your website quality meets their standards.

So how do you get good quality "Inbound links?"

Well, this isn't an easy task. As I mentioned in our "SEO' post, you can play the cheat game and hope for
the best OR, do it the proper way and spend hundreds of hrs building this strategy.
There's literally hundreds if not thousands of resources on the net to acquire links to add to your site.
However, there's nothing better than having a link placed on your site by the link owner themselves. And
needless to say, this also works for you also as you post your link on other sites.

This is where a "comment section" or "blog" or "forum" on your website is important. If you don't have one,
I suggest that you add one.
The strategy is; create some good content, something that might be relevant to various quality sites that
you will visit, but don't disregard the content that you want them to be interested in--"Your Website."
Now that you have something valuable to share, visit various sites that show a good quality rating and
have a blog or comment section of their own, and share your content with them and insert a hyperlink
(your Inbound link) leading back to your page.
This will peak their interest if its a good article and they will follow your link and with any luck, they
will leave a comment of their own on YOUR website and leave a link back to THEIR website.
VOILA, not only did you create an "Inbound link," but you just created an "Outbound link." Congradulations.

So before we close this section on Internal links, lets cover the final question of how to get "quality links"
First, you will need to do some research as to what sites that you'd like to post or share your articles with.
Second, you will need to use the web resources to see how that site ranks.
The top of the food chain for this information would be; 'Alexa"
The second choice I would suggest is; "SimilarWeb."
Both are easy to use, just pop in the website address and hit search. All the information about that site
will come up, including its site ranking.
Again, let me remind you not to bother with low qualty sites, they wont help you any.

OUTBOUND LINKS;

I don't think we'll need to cover much on this link since you learned in our Inbound link example, how to
kill 2 birds with the same stone. However, your not always gauranteed that when someone visits your site,
that they will leave their link on your site. But don't swet it. Just continue thru your list & repeat the
process each time. Eventually your efforts will pay off.
The only thing you need to remember is; Inbound links lead BACK to your site, and Outbound links lead FROM
your site, so the process for each 1 is backwards but the QUALITY factor remains the same.

So a quick overview is this;
You have significantly more control over Outbound links which means you can easily follow Google’s
linking best practices. There’s no excuse for bad outbound links.
Best practices include:

*Link to relevant blogs, forums and websites within your niche.(same category as yourself)
    *Avoid linking to spammy websites or link farms.
    *Limit the number of outbound links you have on your site or you will look spammy as well.
    *Link to pages that provide added value and additional information about the topic or content that
    you are providing.

Now that you absorbed this amount of information, you can understand that this practice will continue
throughout the lifetime of your website. It is a constant flow gathering outbound links & setting inbound
links. Also, keep a close eye on them & check them every so often to ensure they are still active.
Websites come and go. If a link on your site returns as "dead," remove it! As google crawls your site and
finds these dead links, your site ranking will deminish so its important to have good, live links.

The 1 piece of information I failed to mention here is this;
As you visit various sites and blogs etc. to post your links and content, bear in mind this; if you need
to "sign-up" or "register" before you leave a comment or post, remember that this will by no means help you
for establishing a link.
Generally, it is merely a con to "Opt-In" users to recieve newsletters, subscriptions etc. So, if its
possible to leave comments or posts "as a guest," choose that option, unless you prefer to subscribe to their
newsletters.

I hope this short piece of information was helpful in helping you understand how Inbound & Outbound links
work and what google thinks of them.
As of NOW, (2020) they are just as important as they were 10yrs ago. Search engines need to know how to find
you and in "what neighborhood"
If your site is located in the "BRONX" side of town, (bad or low class links) then chances are, you will
be overlooked.
If your site is located "UPTOWN," (the upper class), google will bring the tourists to you.
Just saying, as an analegy.

I will be explaining "Internal & External" links in Pt2 of this post so I hope you will follow along to
learn how these particular links work and what they are. But for now, this gives you some work to focus on.